Bugzappers EOL process and abrt bug reporters being flagged with needinfo before bugs are closed?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 00:30:37 UTC 2010

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 10:06:03 +1000, Brendan wrote:

> On 12/04/2010 02:15 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > Where do reporters opt out from this process?
>
> Is it really so bad? This gentle reminder simply gives the reporter the
> opportunity to let us know whether the unclosed bug is still present in
> a later release. I think this info is very useful for the maintainers
> and bugzappers. Once every 6 months...

Too many tickets, too many reminders. After six months, the reporter maybe
doesn't even work on the same software anymore. And cannot allocate the
time to review all these old tickets.

For issues that persist, a different user will [need to] open a new
ticket. And who will pay attention and notice that it's the same issue
that was closed WONTFIX N*6 months ago?

Automated closing of old tickets certainly is useful for some issues,
which have been fixed with no related activity in bugzilla. But all those
tickets get closed as WONTFIX, which is wrong. And false positives get
closed as WONTFIX, too. A call for action should only be issue if somebody
promises to work on the ticket, to create a fix or communicate with the
reporter.

Also don't forget the bad experience due to tickets, which get closed
again after another 6 months.