Users are supposed to test latest F14 mdadm update?

Kåre Fiedler Christiansen fedora at kaarefc.dk
Sun Dec 12 17:23:13 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 17:28, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 16:28:54 +0100,
>  Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:
>>
>> Then mdadm comes along and apparently this update is extra dangerous
>> because it contains these procedures that you are supposed to perform. The
>> text says "It is recommended that users remake their initramfs images..."
>> so this is not just a message for developers or testers.
>
> I think the issue is that for things included in the initramfs you really
> should test them right away so that if something is broken you notice
> right away while there are a limited number of candidates for the
> problem. Otherwise things may not break until a kernel update and it
> may be difficult to isolate the problem. For testers you need to do
> this right away to make sure you are testing the update. Otherwise
> you might be testing a different version than you think you are.
> dracut and plymouth are programs that also need to be tested this way.

Now I'm concerned. Just like Dennis Jacobfeuerborn I read the
description in PackageKit when the update was pushed to stable, and
felt a little uneasy, but assumed that this was because the
information was left over from a description that was aimed at
updates-testing.

However, if it is indeed the case that _everyone_ should test this
update to make sure the system works afterwards, then I'm not sure I
think it should be pushed to updates-stable at all.

Most people probably don't read the instructions at all. Of those that
do, the instructions for testing is insufficient for most - and in
case the test fails, I have no idea how I would roll back.

I already installed the update, and I haven't rebuilt my initramfs -
should I really be concerned? I would expect that the developer as
well as the critpath testing is supposed to ensure that my risk is
minimal, but if it isn't, I will probably downgrade the package and
blacklist it, before I install another kernel.

Best,
  Kåre
--
Kåre Fiedler Christiansen