[Test-Announce] Fedora 13 Alpha RC#2 Available Now

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Feb 24 18:31:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 13:04 +0100, birger wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 10:15 -0500, James Laska wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 11:43 +0100, birger wrote:
> > > Tried installing from the x86_64 DVD image on a HP BL460c G1 blade
> > > system. The ISO file is mounted as a virtual DVD through the HP
> > > management software.
> > >
> > > System has 2x36GB SAS drives set up in RAID 1.
> > > I tried both ordinary install and 'with basic video driver'.
> > > Both start off in text mode, asking me about language, keyboard and
> > > location of install image. I am booting from the DVD iso image, so it
> > > shouldn't have to ask me where to find the image?
> >
> > That's unexpected, if you boot the DVD with no additional boot
> > arguments, the only text-mode prompt you should get is whether you want
> > to validate your media.  Do you see any messages on tty3 or tty4 that
> > might indicate why it's prompting you for an installation source?
>
> I do not get prompted to validate the media. I dump directly to the
> 'Choose a language' screen in text mode.

Okay, I see now.  Assuming you are already in stage#2 [1] of the install
process, it may have failed to initialize X and offered text-mode
instead.  Can you confirm that is the case (if you have a shell on
tty2 .. you are in stage#2)?

Once confirmed, I would recommend repeating the test against RC3 when
available.  A similar issue was resolved for my test systems using
xorg-x11-drv-nouveau.

If the problem remains, please log this issue in bugzilla against the
your X driver.  There is a guide available [2] to help grab all the
necessary data for the bug report.  If you are able to, I would
recommend completing the install in text-mode and debugging the issue
from the installed system.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Stage
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems

> tty3 only says:
> 11:36:36,699 ERROR   : got to setupCdrom without a CD device

I don't have an anaconda.log from a CD/DVD install handy.  Perhaps just
validate that you are booting a CD or DVD (and not the netinst.iso or
boot.iso).

Thanks,
James