kernel 2.6.32

Mail Lists lists at sapience.com
Fri Jan 29 01:11:21 UTC 2010

On 01/19/2010 10:13 PM, Mail Lists wrote:
> On 01/19/2010 12:22 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
>> Updating a kernel version is a major and complex task and often takes
>> quite a while. Just having a completed build is often a long way from
>> even being in good enough state to go to -testing; there may be many
>> patches that need porting to the new release or significant regressions
>> that need to be addressed. There have been cases where it's taken
>> months. So this isn't unusual and don't, necessarily, hold your
>> breath :). You can always try the latest version from Koji and kill it
>> if doesn't work, though.
>
>   I do realize this, and good comments. There are some great
> improvements int this kernel - for one should finally fix the slow_path
> bug in iwl4965 wireless triggered by lot of data (eg backups) going
> through the wireless .. there are a lot of other good things too!
>
>   I will try the koji kernel ...

  I tried the 2.6.32.6 koji build - there were 4 warnings about missing
things (firmware) for drivers I was not using (aic9xxx, qlaxxx, mmm
forgoet what else) - i did add ati-firmware which I did find (even tho
im using nvidia).

  There was warning about nouveau during the rpm -i which I am using -
but I crossed my fingers and it seems to work.

  iwl4965 wifi is improved substantially (speed for N is once again
visible) - the last test is the warn slowpath bug which I am pretty sure
is fixed in this kernel too - it triggers when lots of packets go thru -
so I will run a backup which usually triggers the bug to see.

  So a few small tidy ups but so far working well for me (64 bit).

gene