yum tries to install i686 on x86_64 system

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 22 16:58:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Rather I think multiarch dependency problems (and i686 packages being
> pulled in) happen in situations when there are broken deps for either
> arch and Yum resolves arch-independent dependencies. See today's thread
> on RPMFusion devel list for one such case.  It's a guess, but it seems
> as if it applies a x86_64 update and uses an older i686 build of the
> same package to satisfy an arch-independent version-specific dependency
> in another x86_64 package.

You have a broken dep on x86_64 - and where on singlearch it just fails,
on multiarch it looks around to see what else can work. It sees the
uninstalled i686 pkg and sees that it satisfies the dep and uses it.

this is why we should be using %{_isa} whereever we can. to make seemingly
arch-independent deps arch-dependent.

-sv