[Fedora QA] #68: Selecting all packages in QA/TestCases/InstallSourceDvd

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon May 3 21:34:13 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 08:01 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:

> It isn't hard to install "most" packages, just utterly undocumented:
> Click on one package to get focus in package list, type Ctrl-A to
> select all packages, right click to get context menu and pick
> "select all optional packages", repeat for all package groups.
>
> Of course, that probably won't get "all" packages, but it will
> get all packages actually listed as optional (why there would
> be other packages not listed at all cluttering the dvd is a
> question I can't answer).

Only the packages in comps are made visible in the gui.  However many
packages are not listed in comps, as they only exist as a dependency of
something else.  There is no need to clutter the UI with hundreds of
libfoo packages.  Therefor there are many packages on the DVD which
cannot be visibly selected, but would be used as deps depending on which
packages you /do/ select.

Since in my opinion the purpose of the test is to make sure that
somebody /could/ select everything and complete the install, I feel that
the above method is just right for completing the test.

> Why there isn't a button that just does the equivalent of
> the above nonsense with the keyboard and mouse is beyond my
> comprehension.

Long history of arguing over the "Everything" button and what it means,
since it surely isn't "everything" on the DVD, no Everything in every
repository you may have selected, including all the optional languages
etc.. etc..  There was just too much argument over the meaning of the
button, so the button was removed.  Now there is no argument about it.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!