Pre-upgrade to F13Beta can't find my root filesystem

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue May 4 18:06:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 11:52 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> I ran pre-upgrade on my F10 system, selected Fedora 13 (branched).
>
> It downloaded all the packages it thought it needed.
>
> It rebooted my system, and the install starts to run.
>
> When it gets to the part about selecting my storage devices, I select
> both hard drives in my system.  The second drive is correctly marked as
> the boot drive.
>
> The install then tells me it is unable to find my root drive.   ???
> At this point, the only option I have in the graphical screen is to exit
> installer....   (F10 certainly has no problems finding my root drive   B^)
>
> The root partition is /dev/sda2, and is correctly labeled as such with a
> UUID and a LABEL=ROOT.
>
> Why can't it find it?  I can certainly mount my entire filesystem
> hierarchy by hand in an alternate console window, and I can traverse it
> and read my /etc/fstab and I checked that all the partition UUIDs listed
> in there are correct.
>
> How can I proceed from here?  Each day I wait means more updates I need
> to apply after the install completes.   B^)

If you are attempting to upgrade from Fedora 10 (which is end of life),
you'll likely want to use a Fedora 13 boot.iso or DVD.  The latest
preupgrade packages are not available for EOL'd versions of Fedora.
It's possible you could take the latest preupgrade code [1], and rebuild
and run it on your Fedora 10 system.  But your mileage will vary.

Thanks,
James

[1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=6045