Fedora 13 RC #2 testing open - Installing to Multi Boot Systems

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Mon May 10 04:58:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 00:00 -0400, Robert C. Lightfoot wrote:
> I raised this point with Alpha and again with Beta, but it's either been
> decided against, ignored or I've failed to state myself clearly.  The
> most recent F13.RC2 install when used on a multi-boot Fedora/Windows
> machine setup a grub which had Fedora as default and delay at zero (0).
> This meant to access Windows I had to edit grub from Fedora to change
> the delay to reach windows.
>
> If we are trying to reach and convert Windows users, then when Fedora
> Installer does a multi-boot install the default needs to allow a small
> amount of time to choose the OS and not set the timeout to 0.

I think it's fair to say that if there's another other operating systems
included in grub.conf during install (and that includes older versions
of fedora, other linuxs, bsds, etc) that grub should revert to a 3
second delay to allow access to those alternative OSes.  It seems
counter intuitive to include alternate OSes in grub only to make it near
impossible to actually boot them.

Rodd