low ram systems

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Tue May 11 01:47:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Karel Volný wrote:

> On Monday 10 of May 2010 18:35:22 Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
>>>
>>> You get to keep both pieces. =)
>>>
>>> Release notes state:
>>>
>>> #
>>> Minimum RAM for text-mode: 256 MiB
>>> #
>>> Minimum RAM for graphical: 348 MiB
>>> #
>>> Recommended RAM for graphical: 512 MiB
>>>
>>> it's a very inexact science, though, it depends on exactly
>>> what install media you're using and what kind of install
>>> you're trying to do. We try to keep to those numbers as
>>> much as possible.
>>
>> Ironically the installer requires two times more memory than
>> LXDE recommends ( 128+ MiB ) for run time usage
>> sad but true.....
>
> not long ago, I've heard something about plans to drop text mode
> support ... that would make it three times ;-)

Text mode is still there, you just don't get as many options as graphical
mode.  If you need those options and cannot run graphical mode, you need to
use kickstart.

> <useless rant>
> but I guess that LXDE should recommend at least 384 MiB when
> running on Fedora - last week I forgot to add "-m 512" to qemu,
> so I've started my virtual machine with the default of 128 MiB
> and 'yum upgrade' (in text mode, init 3) got killed ... so you
> need more, let's say 256 for yum + 128 for LXDE makes 384
>
> btw, have I mentioned that 4 GiB modules are still not available
> in my favourite local store, and very few Internet shops here in
> Czech rep. have them (for insane prices, of course)?
> </useless rant>

We [anaconda team] have actually been working on reducing the memory
requirements during installation.  We have a number of changes in place now in
rawhide to help in this area and probably more coming.

- --
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI