RC3 Install Report

Jeff Raber jeff.raber at gmail.com
Sun May 16 20:58:13 UTC 2010

On 05/16/2010 03:45 PM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> I installed rpmfusion and installed the Nvidia stuff.
> Now Fedora stops loading after it says "starting libvirtd daemon".
>
> I removed xorg.conf but booting has the same problem.
>
> If there is a procedure for installing the Nvidia driver that
> "just works" the way it does on Ubuntu, it should be
> highlighted if an Nvidia card is present.

Chuck, I think you are asking for support in the wrong place.  Stock
Bugzapper Response follows.

    Thank you for the report. Fedora does not provide or support
proprietary drivers like the "nvidia" video driver.

    The open source "nouveau" driver is the recommended alternative. It
is used by default in Fedora 11 and later if you remove any
customizations that explicitly set the video driver. The older "nv"
driver may be needed in some cases. It is also available in older Fedora
releases. Install the packages xorg-x11-drv-nouveau or xorg-x11-drv-nv
and override the X server's default choice if necessary. See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NouveauAsDefault for more
information.

    For users who are experiencing problems installing, configuring, or
using the unsupported 3rd party proprietary "nvidia" video driver,
Nvidia provides indirect customer support via an online web based
support forum. Nvidia monitors these web forums for commonly reported
problems and passes them on to Nvidia engineers for investigation. Once
they've isolated a particular problem, it is often fixed in a future
video driver update.

    The NVNews Nvidia Linux driver forum is located at:
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

    Once you have reported this issue in the Nvidia web forums, others
who may have experienced the particular problem may be able to assist.
If there is a real bug occurring, Nvidia will be able to determine this,
and will likely resolve the issue in a future driver update for the
operating system releases that they officially support.

    While Fedora does not support the proprietary Nvidia driver, users
requiring technical help may also find the various X.Org and Fedora
mailing lists helpful in finding assistance:

    X.Org mailing lists: