Post install dual-head nouveau setup?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 17 17:44:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 08:42 -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

> I have a ThinkPad W700 with a 1920x1200 nVidia display running F13beta
> w/updates. To get 3D I also installed the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental
> package and added nomodeset and rdblacklist=nouveau to grub.conf. The
> result, as you say, was not pretty. No amount of futzing around with
> xrander allowed me to increase the resolution beyond 1280x960 (I think).
>
> When I removed the grub.conf additions and rebooted, it came back up in
> full 1920x1200 resolution. The nexuiz 3D game now works with just the
> new mesa drivers, so it appears they "just work".

Someone has wires crossed here. This:

"added nomodeset and rdblacklist=nouveau to grub.conf"

has nothing to do with 3D support using nouveau. You absolutely should
not do it if you're using nouveau, it will break nouveau and cause you
to get vesa instead. You only do that stuff if you're using the
proprietary nvidia driver, not if you're using nouveau.