Post install dual-head nouveau setup?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 17 21:51:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 15:32 -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

> Adam,
>
> My W700 has the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental installed. No 'additions'
> to grub.conf. 'Display Settings' -> 'Hardware' says it's using the nv
> driver, not nouveau.

No, it doesn't. That's a configuration tool, not a diagnostic one. It
doesn't tell you what driver is currently in use, it tells you what
driver it would configure if you let it. To see what driver you're
doing, look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log .

> The nexuiz game, which requires 3D, now runs. It
> did not before I installed the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental package.

Okay, so, everything works? So why did you write this? You replied to me
saying people should not blacklist the nouveau module and set
'nomodeset' if they want to use nouveau, and you don't say you're doing
this, so, um, what's the point of the mail?

> Exactly what's going on under the covers I haven't a clue. There was a
> time when developers didn't try to cloak their work. These days we're
> told "Don't worry. Be happy."

Er, huh? What was that prompted by?