Fresh install, no network

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 22:42:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 14:58 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 11:06:53PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 19:46 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >
> > > The first "sanity check" is to configure your network interface
> > > static to make sure that the basic hardware/driver are healthy.
> > > One thing at a time.
> >
> > That's fine, however the only effect of configuring a manual IP (outside
> > the pool managed by the DHCP server, which is also the router), plus
> > netmask, router etc. is that nmcli now says "connected"
> > and /var/log/messages no longer has DHCP errors,
>
> That is sort of expected. :-)  You are not using DHCP anymore.
>
> > but pinging the router
> > gets me "Destination unreachable" and several dropped packets.
>
> On an assumption that this interface is correctly configured (an
> address without typos, right network) that says something, doesn't
> it?  Your hardware appears to be ok, because of F13, so apparently
> its driver went south. 'lsmod' presumably lists it as loaded and in
> use, right?  The situation possibly generated some additional info
> in dmesg and/or /var/log/messages.  Did you check?  What
> 'ifconfig eth0' has to say about RX and TX?  It is not a great
> surprise that DHCP does not work, or works erraticaly, if your
> connection is basically shot.  That would be a serious bug.

ifconfig shows activity on the interface (RX and TX). I tried
hard-wiring the IP address and pinging the router. tcpdump (running on
the same machine) shows the ICMP requests and ARP "who-has" requests
from the router . After a while (several 10s of seconds) I start to see
ARP "is-at" replies, showing the correct MAC address, but still no ICMP