Fresh install, no network

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 03:04:18 UTC 2010

This just in: the problem fixed itself magically, Must be because yesterday
was Halloween since I have no other explanation, rational or otherwise. What
happened was this:

Despite no net, I wanted to recover some files from my backup NAS, so I
booted with the F13 (note, not F14) rescue disk, which did have net access,
chrooted to the new installation, net-mounted the NAS and restored my home
directory. I also restored /etc/fstab and fixed up the UUIDs of the LVM
volumes which of course had changed (this being a new install). I swear I
didn't touch anything else, but when I rebooted from the new install, the
net just came up as if nothing was wrong. I rebooted a couple of times to
make sure but it seems solid.

Go figure ...

poc