[Test-Announce] Fedora 14 Beta RC3 Available Now!

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Mon Oct 4 16:02:58 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 20:56 -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jon Hermansen writes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Seems telnet installs are again broken. I've filed bug 639629 Submitted
> > > - Installation over telnet isn't working
> > >

> > James Laska recently mentioned that "the ability to telnet into the
> > installer and direct the installation from the telnet session has been
> > removed" -- see this ticket: https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/ticket/129
> >
> Thanks for the pointer.
> > AFAIK it _was_ on some list of installer test cases, but isn't supported
> > anymore. It's probably recommended that you use SSH instead.
>
> Hmmm, looks much worse than that, from my perspective. Seems ssh isn't
> replacing telnet's use case at all:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/fedora-testing/msg93762.html
>
> So, I will go test whether accessibility support is fixed in the Live
> image. If not, I have no way to install Fedora without assistance from
> someone. That would not be good at all.

Andre correctly reminded me that 'ssh' installer support is not intended
as a replacement for a telnet install.  Rather, it is a means for
enabling 'ssh' to remotely monitor install progress.  Translation, you
can ssh into the installing system and monitor /tmp/*log or do whatever
else you want from a shell.  Essentially, it provides the shell you
normally get on tty2, but over the network.

Thanks,
James