Fedora 14 Nightly Compose Install

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Wed Sep 1 02:25:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 21:22 -0400, Bob Cochran wrote:
> Someone kindly pointed me to
> http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/ to grab a Fedora
> 14 live image and I helped myself to the "Deskstop" x86_64 image
> yesterday. Installed this on an old x86_64 system with an Asrock
> motherboard. The installation actually went pretty nicely and was quick,
> and it did sort of boot. But the boot process came to a halt with an
> error message that I've forgotten and dumped me into a bash shell, when
> I was expecting a graphical login screen. A 'yum update' didn't fix
> things. Running 'startx' from the bash prompt didn't work. I did ome
> Googling and maybe I'll check the grub configuration for 'nomodeset'
> entries to remove. Maybe I'll just install Fedora 13 on this hardware
> and wait a bit on 14 even though Firefox x86_64 in Fedora 13 appears to
> bring the entire graphical system to its knees. Or maybe there is a bug
> in metacity.

Is it the same thing I am getting that says to hit control-d to continue
or type in root password for maint?  If so, hit control D to continue,
then should get it again, and this time put in root password.  Once at a
shell, just hit "init 5" and that will get you to graphical login.  It's
a bug or some sort and guess still being worked out.  Think it's a
systemd thing, or something along those lines.

Mike Chambers