Some or all of your votes have been removed

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 2 19:06:14 UTC 2010

Kevin Fenzi <kevin <at> scrye.com> writes:

> > Has it been disabled recently?
>
> Short answer: Yes. It has.
>
> Longer answer:
>
> FESCo looked at trying to use voting data to give us an idea on 'hot'
> bugs that we might be able to send more resources to fix. Sadly, voting
> isn't at all good for this, as people have many votes (100 or 1000, I
> forget which), so it's hard to tell if an issue affects 10 people or
> 100 by that. Many people didn't see the voting interface, so they
> wouldn't have used it even if the problem was severe or affected a lot
> of people. Some people were using the voting interface, even though no
> maintainers ever noticed it (ie, thinking this could help the bug get
> solved, but it's like the maintainer and voter were in seperate worlds
> without any communication).
>
> So, we decided it would be less confusing to just disable it.
>
> We decided to look into using CC or comments to tell when a bug had a
> lot of people affected or was 'very active'. Unfortunately, this also
> is proving to be difficult to implement. See:
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-engineering-services/ticket/24
> any help there would be appreciated.

Not that it matters now, but it probably would have been better to allow just
one vote apiece, not an arbitrary number. Having said that, using CC or comments
is probably a better way since it happens automatically. CC might be more
useful, since people can inflate the comment number by posting multiple
comments, but can only CC themselves once.