heads-up: upstart reversion coming soon

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Sep 15 05:46:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 03:41 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> The decision to reject this feature certainly was a lesson in killing
> momentum which we will never reach again.
>
> JBG
>
> Ps.
>         Yes I'm pissed and I have every right to be I eventually will
> get over it and so will you over my rant.

I understand, but please don't personalize the argument - FESCo didn't
make the decision on any kind of personal grounds, but on technical
grounds (worries about whether we would be able to complete backwards
compatibility and documentation work in time). They didn't really
'reject' systemd but simply delayed it to F15. All the work we all did
on systemd will still be valuable for that time frame.

I do wish, though, Bill, that FESCo could have come through with this
decision sooner; on a project basis it really does cut things rather
fine for rolling RC1, and on a personal basis I could have not bothered
with about seven hours of TC1 systemd blocker testing and triage over
the last two days :(