system-config-network F14Beta x86_64

Richard Ryniker ryniker at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 21 00:23:30 UTC 2010

> if you don't use accessibility disable it with
> gconftool-2 --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility false

Worked like a charm... after I figured out it must be set for root.

> Someone from the Gnome Desktop team needs to comment if these should be
> installed and accessibility on by default.

I think you recognize a fault here.  If "accessibility" is true by default,
then the required module ought to be installed in the initial package
set.

It would be helpful if GConf had some ability to verify the presence of
resources required by configuration settings.  If I change the
"accessibility" value from false to true, a message that tells me
"libgail-gnome is not available, but the new configuration requires it."
is in order.

When I login, perhaps all known GConf resource dependencies can be
verified, and failures reported (this check itself enabled or supressed
by a configuration setting, of course).

Thank you for the cogent explanation and directly useful recommendation.