since last update system does not boot any more

Richard Ryniker ryniker at alum.mit.edu
Tue Apr 5 19:21:09 UTC 2011

>On Sat, 2011-04-02 at 10:49 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
>
>>   Indeed ... there is something simplistically elegant about:
>>
>>     3
>> vs
>>     multi-user.target
>
>Or, you could look upon it as 'utterly cryptic'. At least
>multi-user.target takes a shot at explaining itself. 3...3, well, not so
>much.
>--
>Adam Williamson

One can reasonably argue for either scheme, though Adam might be acused
of a desire to destroy venerable historic traditions of mystic Unix
incantations...

I should think "3" presents very little problem for internationalization,
whereas "multi-user.target" demands translation before it "explains
itself" to non-English-speaking users.  Because these are descriptive
file names, not just message text, and they are used fairly early in the
boot process, I doubt translation is easy.  Feasible, certainly, but
messy and therefore unlikely to happen.