Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 23:07:18 UTC 2011

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:00:46 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>Bill Nottingham <notting <at> redhat.com> writes:
>> JB (jb.1234abcd <at> gmail.com) said:
>> > Now this:
>> > http://gnome3.org/
>> >
>> > "A satisfying experience, whatever kind of computer you use: GNOME 3 will
>> > feel right at home on netbooks as well as larger machines"
>> >
>> > Really ? Like servers. workstations, PCs, notebooks ? Used by RH enterprise
>> > customers, non-technical businesses (big and small), users who do not sleep
>> > with their computers but use them as *tools* to accomplish their daily
>> > tasks ?
>>
>> Why, yes, that would be the goal. Is there something wrong with that?
>> (You've essentially restated the goal without comment or data. How am I
>> supposed to parse that, other than just implied sarcasm?)
>
>I forgot to mention that there is an opinion or stated goal of GNOME 3 that
>its target should be "smart devices" (the food chain below netbooks), that's
>why the new GUI of its Shell.
>
>I do not think you can cover with one infrastructure and GUI a spectrum  of
>so different hardware, software, and DE requirements.

I think the next 5 years will be very surprising to you then.

HP has announced that webOS will be running on everything:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/02/hp-webos-also-coming-to-notebooks-and-desktop-computers.ars

Apple has given hints that they are moving iOS and Mac OS closer in
the last OS presentation.

Motorola is a bit early, but clearly is demonstrating where it appears
we are heading with their Atrix phone (see webtop):
http://www.motorola.com/consumers/CA-EN/Motorola-ATRIX-CA-EN.do?vgnextoid=121bd4c5ec70d210VgnVCM10000081bbb00aRCRD

This blog post really says it all:
http://chrisfenwick.com/home/2011/4/25/what-10-years-can-do.html

Consider that since the iPhone 4 we have moved to dual processor ARM,
with quad-core ARM announced for sometime in 12 - 24 months.

It certainly appears that for a very large number of people their
phone/computer are going to become one and the same, and it is going
to be very interesting to see.