f15 install ssd alignment

DG dangets at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 14:46:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm about to try install f15 to a fresh SSD.  How can I make sure anaconda will
> align partitions properly?
> Would it be better to avoid LVM to achieve this?
>
> (sounds like lvm is not going to be easy, according to this:
> http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/blog-entry/aligning-filesystems-ssd%E2%80%99s-
> erase-block-size
>
> I'm going to try anaconda, not messing directly with low-level tools
> )
>
> --

I'm also curious about this.  Please someone correct me if I am wrong,
but I think that the partitions are aligned on 1MB boundaries, so no
need to worry about 4KB erase-block boundaries.

I also read that article, as well as some other related ones, and have
heard hearsay about LVM being "bad" on SSDs, but would appreciate
someone in the know weighing in.  It may also be something to add to
the installation article in the wiki as a sidenote.

Thanks,
Danny G