f15 install ssd alignment

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Apr 28 15:15:54 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 08:46:30 -0600,
  DG <dangets at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm also curious about this.  Please someone correct me if I am wrong,
> but I think that the partitions are aligned on 1MB boundaries, so no
> need to worry about 4KB erase-block boundaries.

I think erase blocks are normally a lot larger than 4KB.
>From http://lwn.net/Articles/428584/
"Although it is usually possible to write single pages, the data cannot be overwritten without being erased first, and erasing is only possible in much larger units, typically between 128KB and 2MB. The controllers group these erase blocks into even larger segments, called "erase block groups," "allocation units," or simply "segments." The most common size for these segments is 4MB for drives in the multi-gigabyte class, and all operations on the drive happen in these units; in particular, the drive will never erase any unit smaller than a segment."