Well, I have tried systemd now ...

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 01:50:41 UTC 2011

On 04/26/2011 11:51 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 08:49 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> Sorry, the partially-quoted mail came out hopelessly garbled as I
> somehow managed to trigger a 'send this email now!' key combo while
> editing it. Here's a fixed-up version.
>
>>> So, knowing that my new universe starts with systemd, I followed my instincts:
>>>
>>> $ systemd --help
>>> $ systemd --test

m>> Your instincts need tweaking. When you absolutely know a given 'thing'
>> is made up of a single command, this is a good way to go. systemd is not
>> such a case. You don't use the systemd executable to manage systemd, in
>> most cases, so looking at the help for the systemd executable isn't
>> going to tell you much.
>>
>> A better entry point in this case is:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd
>
> which lists all the most common operations you'll need. Further reading
> at http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd : the Tips and
> Tricks and FAQ pages especially.
>
> I humbly submit to you that a possible explanation for why there hasn't
> been a lot of heat around systemd lately is that it's working very well.

Well as a brand new F15 user, it was certainly confusing to me. I'd
installed an F15 vm. systemd was confusing enough that I just deleted
it, expecting to try it again once the dust had settled.

Maybe there really are sites that effectively describe systemd (I didn't
check the ones you mention),  but how in the world would a user know
about them when the user has a problem with systemd. I certainly didn't.

As an earlier poster said, man systemd (or systemd --help) is the first
obvious step. It's not google "systemd fedora".  (Especially if you're
having connection problems).

sean
sean