Kickstart and grub2

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 16:50:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 05:48:51AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>>
>> VGA= is not a kickstart setting it's an kernel command line parameter
>> and with grub2 you need to use "set gfxpayload=$your-desired-resolution"
>> instead.
>>
>> You can find the available kickstart settings on the ( extremely well )
>> documented kickstart page [1] from the Anaconda team...
>>
>> "vga=794" would be "set gfxmode=1280x1024x16||,1280x1024" and you will
>> need to add something like the below to the grub2 config file
>>
>> set gfxmode=$your-desired-resolution
>> set gfxpayload=keep
>> insmod gfxterm
>> insmod vbe
>>
>> 1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart
>
> Is this a correct reference?  I looked at this page and nothing was
> found by a search for a string "gfx".  Just in case I checked also
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Grub2
> and there was no mention of that string either.
>
> Regardless, when looking how to configure grub2 I doubt very much
> if "Anaconda/Kickstart" would be my first, or even second, choice of
> a place to visit.
>
> Is this also really the case that in kickstart you do:
> "set gfxpayload=$your-desired-resolution" while in grub2
> configuration "set gfxpayload=keep" or the above is a mixup?

My initial question was about passing grub2 parameters through
kickstart so the discussion's a mix of kickstart and grub2.

The kickstart fp.o page referenced above doesn't have any info on
grub2 (unless it's been updated in the last few hours) hence my
question, especially since using 'bootloader ... --append="vga=...
..." ...' in a kickstart configuration file adds "vga=..." to the
grub.cfg "linux" line, which results in a warning at boot that the
"vga=..." setting's deprecated.

The upstream way of setting the resolution is to set
"GRUB_GFXMODE=resolution" in "/etc/default/grub" and run
"grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" ("grub2-mkconfig -o
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg" on Fedora) to re-generate grub.cfg.

Fedora adds a further twist (other than s/grub/grub2/g) because of
grubby. I've yet to create grub.cfg entries with grubby to see how
it's functioning, but if you run "grub2-mkconfig ...", the menu entry
titles are "Fedora Linux ...kernel_version...", whereas when the
kernel's upgraded through yum, the post-install script runs
"/sbin/new-kernel-pkg", which creates "Fedora ...kernel_version..."
menu entry titles through grubby.

OT for this thread but for the record regarding kickstart
documentation: the "part biosboot --fstype=biosboot --size=1"
kickstart entry to create a bios_grub partition on a GPT disk isn't
yet documented on the kickstart fp.o page.