persistent gnome dep problems (F16 alpha rc3-5, alpha), --skip-broken wants to haul in 32-bit libs

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 24 17:11:31 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 13:09 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 17:26:44 +0100
> Richard Hughes wrote:
>
> > I'm seriously wondering if multilib is worth all this hassle...
>
> Oh I've never wondered that: It has clearly never been a good
> idea. Starting with the total lack of documentation about how
> the heck it actually works when (for instance) multilib rpms
> both contain /usr/bin binaries of the same name and going
> through all the problems it causes with updates (like these).

It is documented it is just confusing

When you have two pkgs sharing the same binary path - the pkg in the
preferred/compat arch for that platform has its files installed.

Except when you install them in the wrong order - and then rpm will
cough out a conflict. This, I think, has been fixed in more recent
changes but I'm not 100% certain of that.

> Seems to me the "problem" should always have been fixed
> by simply packaging the rpms correctly with shared noarch
> bits in one rpm, /lib bits in another, /lib64 bits in
> another, and /bin bits in yet another.

that doesn't fix the problem, though.;
-sv