Adding Fedora15 to F16alpha grub2 menu

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 18:14:03 UTC 2011

Tom H wrote:

>> In the old grub, you had to explicitly state /boot.
>>
>> In the old grub.conf it even states:
>>
>> "all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /"
>>
>> That means everything is relative to root (/), not /boot!
>
> Are you referring to root=/ or the grub root?

I don't have a clue what the "grub root" is or what you mean by
"root=/", hence I cannot interpret the question.

> If you have a separate "/boot" partition, the kernel and initrd are
> relative to it.

I never have a separate /boot (or /home) partition, as I have never
managed to figure out a reason for it. It is just unnecessary
complexity without benefit. I always have 3 versions of fedora
installed (current, current-1 and current+1), so each has a root (/)
partition that contains everything, the whole kit and 'kabootle'.