Adding Fedora15 to F16alpha grub2 menu

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 21:20:14 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Petrus de Calguarium
<pgueckel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>>>
>>> In the old grub, you had to explicitly state /boot.
>>>
>>> In the old grub.conf it even states:
>>>
>>> "all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /"
>>>
>>> That means everything is relative to root (/), not /boot!
>>
>> Are you referring to root=/ or the grub root?
>
> I don't have a clue what the "grub root" is or what you mean by
> "root=/", hence I cannot interpret the question.
>
>> If you have a separate "/boot" partition, the kernel and initrd are
>> relative to it.
>
> I never have a separate /boot (or /home) partition, as I have never
> managed to figure out a reason for it. It is just unnecessary
> complexity without benefit. I always have 3 versions of fedora
> installed (current, current-1 and current+1), so each has a root (/)
> partition that contains everything, the whole kit and 'kabootle'.

I mean by "grub root" the "root=(hdX,Y)" line in grub1's grub.conf and
the "set root=(hdX,Y)" and "search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=UUID"
lines in grub2's /grub.cfg.

The default Fedora install, up to now, has been to have a separate
"/boot" in order to use LVM for "/". That's one reason and there are
others (for example, some people don't mount "/boot" at boot; they
only mount it to update the kernel and the boot config and then
unmount it).