persistent gnome dep problems (F16 alpha rc3-5, alpha), --skip-broken wants to haul in 32-bit libs

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Aug 27 18:52:19 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:28:37 +0300,
  Kalev Lember <kalevlember at gmail.com> wrote:
> When in the past rawhide was always what you'd get as the next upcoming
> Fedora release, this is now slightly different. In the past, updates to
> rawhide would slow down significantly when nearing a new release and the
> repo would be frozen for weeks at a time. Now, however, rawhide is a
> continuously flowing repo and releases are instead made of release branches.

Depending on what one's testign goals are rawhide still may be a better
place to do testing. For example up until about a week ago, 3.1 kernels
were only being built for rawhide.

> Fedora 16 (also called 'Branched') was branched off of rawhide a month
> ago. Since that time, most of the developers have switched from working
> on rawhide to working on the F16 branch. What this means is that:
>
> - rawhide gets much less love than usual during the F16 pre-Alpha -
>   Final stages. Quite a lot of people want to get the new release
>   polished up as good as possible and just don't pay much attention
>   to rawhide bugs.

People should still be doing builds for F17 for things they have been doing
builds for in F16. Remember that while F17 inherits from F16, it doesn't
inherit from F16-updates-testing. (For example the updated gnome-shell
still isn't in the rawhode repo and needs to be grabbed separately for now.)

> - The Branched tree might actually get new goodies earlier than
>   rawhide, because this is what people are mostly concentrating on.

That works both ways, as I said about people are really supposed to be
doing builds for F17 at the same time. Normally this isn't a significant
amount of extra work.

> - Bug reports and general testing of the new Branched release is very
>   valuable, and much more important than rawhide at this point.

In general maybe, but not in all cases. This is probably more true once
we reach beta, where newer stuff in rawhide is less likely to be moved
to the branched release before final.