Release criteria: kickstart

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Aug 30 23:26:49 UTC 2011

> Hey, folks. So, another criteria discussion. It came up during Alpha
> that we're grievously lacking criteria to ensure kickstart installs
> work. So, we should kick that around a bit, I guess...
>
> kickstart is a very broad area; you can write extremely complex
> kickstart files that do a lot of stuff. So broadly what we'd need to do
> is define a subset of kickstart functionality that we expect to work,
> and then possibly divide that up by release phase (so some stuff must
> work by Beta, the rest by Final, for e.g.)
>
> anaconda devs following this list, do you have any existing expectations
> as to what level of kickstart functionality ought to be in place for
> releases, and when you think would be appropriate?
>
> So far it seems everyone more or less agrees that it should be possible
> to do at least a basic unattended kickstart install by Beta.

So we don't seem to have a real clear consensus here. The last blocker
review meeting exposed a few kickstart operations we considered *not*
significant enough to be beta blockers, but not really any we did
consider significant enough.

I propose that to get something in place now we go minimal, and just
implement what there was consensus on: smooge's suggested criterion -

"Does it take a minimal kickstart and build a default system. The
minimal being the exact stuff that would be created if a person just
clicked through a release."

as a Beta criterion. i.e. if you take /root/anaconda-ks.cfg from a
click-through install and pass it to anaconda, it should successfully
install. (Maybe with the small wrinkle that you uncomment the
partitioning stuff, so it becomes a true unattended kickstart).

We can then elaborate the criteria from there based on 'case law', i.e.,
we can evaluate actual kickstart bugs as they're proposed as blockers
and propose criteria based on the results of those discussions. How does
that sound?