How do I add startup programs in Gnome 3?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 12:18:05 UTC 2011

--- On Mon, 3/28/11, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> From: Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: How do I add startup programs in Gnome 3?
> To: "For testing and quality assurance of Fedora releases" <test at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Date: Monday, March 28, 2011, 4:56 PM
> On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 20:11 +0100,
> Michael Spahn wrote:
> > I think there actually isn't a option in Gnome 3.
> >
> > You can use the .xinitrc file in your home folder.
> >
> > This file will be executed by login in with you user.
> >
> > cat "(sleep 1 && gkrellm) &" >>
> ~/.xinitrc
> >
> > This isn't a solution for a missing function, but it
> works.
>
> A much more correct way is to drop a .desktop file in
> ~/.config/autostart (which is actually what the GNOME 2 GUI
> did anyway).
> --

Folks,

None of these methods work for starting gkrellm when gnome3 starts :(

[students at maddog ~]$ cat ~/.config/autostart
(sleep 2 && gkrellm) &

or

in ~/.xinitrc

None do the job.  Might have to check the gnome-settings? package.  I wanted this work to not install the package which soon might be depracated?

Thanks,

Antonio