Missing PackageKit notification in GNOME Shell

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed May 25 17:18:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, 25 May 2011 13:16:51 +0100, RH wrote:

> > $ gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.updates last-updates-notification
> > uint64 0
> >
> > What does that mean?
>
> Never been notified.
>
> > $ gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.updates frequency-get-updates
> > 86400
> >
> > $ gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.updates frequency-refresh-cache
> > 86400
> >
> > $ gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.updates frequency-updates-notification
> > 604800
> >
> > That is one week. The two 86400 (seconds?) are one day.
> > And still gpk-prefs displays "Hourly".
>
> I think that's a bug. I'm not sure what's caused that. Please file it
> and I'll add to the TODO list of death.

No idea what to file. And as I'm going to do a fresh install of F15 anyway
(probably tonight), it could be gone after that, and I'll try to find out.
I've examined this further on the machine where it's broken:

It's a discrepancy between the config values seen by
/usr/libexec/packagekitd and /usr/bin/gpk-prefs.

packagekitd runs as root, gpk-prefs as normal user.
packagekitd is getting the 86400 value. gpk-prefs the 3600,
and it doesn't change root's.

Originally, I've been running with a "Daily" setting, but haven't received
any update notifications either and usually clicked "Check Now" to install
them as an alternative to Yum. If this won't be reproducible with F15 fresh
install, I won't have any interest in it anymore.