/ must be on a partition or LV that will be formatted. Reusing an existing / is not allowed.

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 11:54:44 UTC 2011

On Thursday 20 of October 2011 19:02:41 Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 12:34 +0200, Karel Volný wrote:
> I don't know of any major distro that doesn't support LVMs.

I'm really not sure if this is the right place to say "someone
big does this or that" ... otherwise we may end up asking how
simple it is to read your /home if you install Windows

> They may not use them in the installer by default...

so it is not that easy to setup the system on a LVM layout,
thanks for proving the point ;-)

> > I don't know Kamil's exact usecase, but in general, if you
> > have just one disk, which I guess is the majority case, why
> > to bother with creating multiple partitions then resize
> > them "just because you can do it with LVM"?
> > (no need to answer this question ...)
>
> Because it's the correct way to be able to keep /home while
> wiping / . Simple enough answer?

well ... no

what does it mean "correct"?

> > > Anaconda team consider skipping format of / to be a *dumb*
> > >
> >                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > thing to do, not a smart one...
> >
> > but that is not the thing Kamil called "smart" ;-)
>
> Um, yes it is? "The only concern I ever had for my layout is
> whether the next distro installer would be smart enough to
> let me skip formatting of the / partition."

I belive that ...

you talk about the action itself

Kamil talks about *allowing* the action

K.