Another issue with install and GPT

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 09:37:47 UTC 2011

On 09/19/2011 12:39 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-09-18 at 16:21 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 09/18/2011 05:27 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> When you got to the 'where do you want to install the bootloader
>>> screen', what did it say, exactly? (Especially in the CD test case).
>> With the usb install it placed the usb key into both places.
>>
>> With the cd the hard drive ( sda ).
>>
>> Both result in a non bootable system from harddrive.
> Well, those seem like significantly different issues. Did you try at all
> to figure out why the second case wasn't booting? When you say 'non
> bootable', what happened when you tried to boot?

In all counts the bios could not boot of the harddrive as in did not
find the necessary boot partition,

>   What partition layout
> option did you choose?

Default non lvm layout ( unhash lvm )

> Did you check and see if it created a BIOS boot
> partition?

It did not ( well in the case of the usb key it did but did so on the
usb key itself containing the iso image not the harddrive )

>> This was an HP 620 I was using ( user wanted his laptop back and walked
>> away with F15 on it which btw installed flawlessly ).
>>
>> Just out of curiosity does all hardware support booting of GPT and if so
>> does it require some bios config tweaks to get working?
> AIUI, any system can support it, and no BIOS config tweaks should be
> required. The key element is correct bootloader setup, and the necessary
> BIOS boot partition.
>
>> As in can we hit scenarios when the installer detects GPT capable
>> hardware installs accordingly then the user cant boot because it's not
>> enabled in the bios config
>> or is installing GPT when it othewize should not?
> There's no 'GPT capable hardware' detection going on. Any time anaconda
> is formatting an entire disk in F16, it does so with a GPT disk label,
> AIUI.

I suggest you read http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/booting.html.

Anyway does anaconda support installing grub2 on mbr as opposed to gpt?
( use mbr or use gpt )

JBG