Another issue with install and GPT

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 15:27:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 09:37 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> >> As in can we hit scenarios when the installer detects GPT capable
> >> hardware installs accordingly then the user cant boot because it's not
> >> enabled in the bios config
> >> or is installing GPT when it othewize should not?
> > There's no 'GPT capable hardware' detection going on. Any time anaconda
> > is formatting an entire disk in F16, it does so with a GPT disk label,
> > AIUI.
>
> I suggest you read http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/booting.html.

I've read it, in fact, it's what I was reading when I replied to your
message. I don't believe it goes against anything I said.

> Anyway does anaconda support installing grub2 on mbr as opposed to gpt?
> ( use mbr or use gpt )

I don't think that question makes sense, exactly. the gpt system does
not *have* an mbr (well, technically it does, but its sole purpose is to
prevent things which expect to see an mbr from screwing up gpt): the mbr
is the defining feature of the 'old' msdos system. you can talk about
'mbr' instead of 'ms-dos disk label' if you want, the two are almost
interchangeable. The only way you could 'use mbr' instead of 'using gpt'
is to not format the disk as gpt at all, and anaconda does not allow you
that option, at least interactively (not sure if you can do it via a
kickstart).