F17 video annoyances, old hardware

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Apr 1 00:46:10 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-31 at 19:00 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> > They look better than an error message telling you your X server won't
> > run.
>
> Only when the message isn't a lie. Just because it didn't start doesn't
> necessarily mean it can't be made to start. 'Tis better just a message than a
> literally distorted untruth.

Well, I guess we could disable all acceleration in nv.

> > (you're wrong anyway; vesa is perfectly capable of 16x9 resolutions. It
>
> Not all I listed are TV (16:9) modes, nor did I list every possible native
> mode of current and recent displays, much less future displays. Did you try
> 1280x800, 1680x1050 or 1920x1200?
>
> > does 1600x900 fine on my Vaio Z, and it did 1600x768 on my Vaio P after
> > some poking of ajax).
>
> 2.08:1? Velly intellestink.

I am an adherent of weird bits of Sony hardware...

> >...it's still better than no X.
>
> I don't think everyone would agree. Some might take as an inducement to
> figure out why and end up with satisfactory support instead of VESA molasses
> or funhouse.

Any 'fix' for this is going to be molasses, but it may be a bit less
funhouse, true. I'm just not sure anyone is going to want to spend any
time poking the nv driver code any more. No-one has wanted to for a long
time.