/etc/yum/protected.d/ content thwarts yum update/upgrade

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 1 17:50:16 UTC 2012

On 2012/04/01 17:59 (GMT+0100) Frank Murphy composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>>  I have one package I want to keep from being replaced, so I created a
>>  file in protected.d/ according to
> <snipped>
>>  'Error: Trying to remove "<protected-package>", which is protected'.

> That's the way protected works.

I think it's a stretch of the definition of "works" that something doing its
job can prevent 200 unrelated upgrade jobs from proceeding. :-(

On openSUSE and Mandriva the package managers either produce messages with
options what to do about affected packages (e.g. allow breakage of package
foo, don't upgrade/keep bar, ignore the protection, etc.), or silently work
around packages related to the protected, when protected packages are
encountered, without stubbornly blocking the processing of unrelated packages.

> You could also try an exclude line in /etc/yum.conf
> see if you fare any better.

Didn't help. :-(

> Curious what is the package?

grub-0.97-75.fc16.i686 (and whatever may depend on it). I know how to
maintain menu.lst/grub.conf myself, so don't need automatic bootloader
maintenance at kernel upgrade time. I don't need EFI capability either.

> Best option would be to get the srpm
> and rebuild for current Fedora if possible.

I don't build any software. I test what others build, on many machines, many
releases per system. Space per installed OS is intentionally limited to the
minimum necessary for OS and common apps to run, so sources and build tools
don't fit, even if I did know how or care to use them. I don't want Grub2 on
my systems, but do want some idea what cmdline options would be used if it
was installed.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/