F17 vs. Pentium 4

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 6 18:15:36 UTC 2012

On 2012/04/06 12:35 (GMT-0500) Michael Hennebry composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>>  Maybe it's time to dispense with the script (menu.lst/grub.conf)
                                            CLUE  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  CLUE  :-)

> I don't understand how that would help.
> It seems to me that that would leave me with even less documentation.

Like running an app in an xterm, otherwise invisible messages may provide a
necessary clue to solving a problem.

> I installed openSUSE just to see if I could.
> I could, but not without problems.
> The first one was that it hung after its automatic reboot.

By default, first reboot is not a reboot but a kexec. Kexec doesn't always
work as intended.

> Pressing reset got the job done.

Meaning openSUSE 12.1 is successfully installed and bootable?

> The other is that it took me a while to discover that to change
> my boot options I needed to edit menu.lst , not grub.conf .

See above. :-)

In F17 neither will work. It uses Grub2.

> I was really panicking for a while.

> Still no go on F16 or F17.

:-(

How about "cloning" your F15, and upgrading that to F16 with latest fixes
with Yum?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/