F17 vs. Pentium 4

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Fri Apr 6 17:35:49 UTC 2012

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012, Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2012/04/05 20:17 (GMT-0500) Michael Hennebry composed:

>> The pause commands are so I can tell how
>> far booting gets before it craps out on me.
>> 'Tis annoying to watch what little I might
>> understand disappear before I can read it
>> or even tell where it came from.

> Maybe it's time to dispense with the script (menu.lst/grub.conf). When the
> Grub menu appears, exit to the grub> prompt and execute the individual
> commands [help,find,root,kernel,initrd,boot,reboot] as you're inclined to see
> messages without proceeding to another step until you're ready.

I don't understand how that would help.
It seems to me that that would leave me with even less documentation.

I installed openSUSE just to see if I could.
I could, but not without problems.
The first one was that it hung after its automatic reboot.
Pressing reset got the job done.
The other is that it took me a while to discover that to change
my boot options I needed to edit menu.lst , not grub.conf .
I was really panicking for a while.

Still no go on F16 or F17.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily