F17 vs. Pentium 4

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 6 21:35:58 UTC 2012

On 2012/04/06 15:24 (GMT-0500) Michael Hennebry composed:

> On Fri, 6 Apr 2012, Felix Miata wrote:

>>  Like running an app in an xterm, otherwise invisible messages may provide a
>>  necessary clue to solving a problem.

> That means that from the command line,
> grub will emit messages that I would not see using pause?

Presumably.

>>>  I installed openSUSE just to see if I could.
>>>  I could, but not without problems.
>>>  The first one was that it hung after its automatic reboot.

>>  By default, first reboot is not a reboot but a kexec. Kexec doesn't always
>>  work as intended.

>>>  Pressing reset got the job done.

>>  Meaning openSUSE 12.1 is successfully installed and bootable?

> Yes.

Which means something peculiar about the combination of your hardware and F16/17.

>>  How about "cloning" your F15, and upgrading that to F16 with latest fixes
>>  with Yum?

> I suppose I could clone my F15 by copying its partition,
> but I thought that yum could only upgrade package versions,
> not fedora versions.
> man yum seems to concur.

If it does, it's not something I ever noticed. It's not uncommon for man
pages to be in need of update. Updating versions via package manager I've
done more than a few times on Fedora, routinely on openSUSE.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_PreUpgrade

Just be sure that the first thing done after cloning is ensuring UUID and
volume label on copy and clone do not match, and that on the clone fstab and
Grub's menu are matched to the clone's location. Also, a typical cloning
process does not clone Grub. That invariably must be done separately. Failing
the fstab & Grub menu post-cloning steps would almost surely result in damage
to the F15 source, if not complete destruction, once is upgrade is begun.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/