F17 vs. Pentium 4

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sat Apr 7 00:05:02 UTC 2012

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012, Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2012/04/06 15:24 (GMT-0500) Michael Hennebry composed:

>> On Fri, 6 Apr 2012, Felix Miata wrote:

>>>  How about "cloning" your F15, and upgrading that to F16 with latest fixes
>>>  with Yum?
>
>> I suppose I could clone my F15 by copying its partition,
>> but I thought that yum could only upgrade package versions,
>> not fedora versions.
>> man yum seems to concur.
>
> If it does, it's not something I ever noticed. It's not uncommon for man
> pages to be in need of update. Updating versions via package manager I've
> done more than a few times on Fedora, routinely on openSUSE.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_PreUpgrade

Verrrry interesting.
It seems that yum doesn't know about it either.
So far as yum is concerned, it's just installing another boring package.
I just hope that this mechanism doesn't hit the same wall.

> Just be sure that the first thing done after cloning is ensuring UUID and
> volume label on copy and clone do not match, and that on the clone fstab and
> Grub's menu are matched to the clone's location. Also, a typical cloning
> process does not clone Grub. That invariably must be done separately. Failing
> the fstab & Grub menu post-cloning steps would almost surely result in damage
> to the F15 source, if not complete destruction, once is upgrade is begun.

cp /dev/sdb17 /dev/sdb27
wouldn't get the first sector of the partition?

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily