No way to add a new app launcher from Gnome 3.x GUI?

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Apr 19 01:54:34 UTC 2012

> On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 15:04 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>
> > I know this doesn´t solve my problem, but I´m outraged.
>
> In general, we expect an application to bring a suitable desktop file so
> it is usable after you installed it. That is even part of the packaging
> guidelines, last I checked.
>
> If the application you want a launcher for is something you created
> yourself, I don't think it is outrageous to expect you to write a
> desktop file after you already wrote the application...

And nobody ever needed a launcher for a script or downloaded an app
outside the package manager or did anything but be a nice little end
user and let the GNOMEs take care of everything.  Steve Jobs is smiling
somewhere.

I make .desktop files on a regular basis to fire off ssh sessions and
such.  Or did until I abandoned GNOME and found XFCE won't launch ssh
via a .desktop link under some circumstances I haven't understood yet.
Some of my existing desktop links work, others don't and I haven't
nailed down the cause yet.

Point being, creating app shortcuts is something a medium skill user
should be expected to be able to figure out.  Telling em to 'go fish'
isn't really an answer that anyone should be willing to accept.