Inadequate sound device control

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Apr 20 17:15:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 16:55 +0200, Karel Volný wrote:
> Dne Út 17. dubna 2012 16:36:08, Adam Williamson napsal(a):
> > On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 14:36 +0200, Karel Volný wrote:
> > > now if there is only one volume control, how do I express
> > > that I want to mute the microphone and set the line-in to
> > > some value?
> > PA doesn't treat this as a question of volumes but a question
> > of inputs, or, as GNOME volume control puts it, 'connectors'.
> > On the Input tab of the GNOME volume control applet thingy,
>
> how can I run this outside of GNOME which I do not use?

The idea is you'd use a PA mixer native to whatever environment you
want. Or simply pavucontrol, which gives you much the same stuff.

> > they show up as options in a drop-down list. You can pick one
> > input source at a time.
>
> so, I can't actually mix them?

Well, I don't know, and don't want to sound too definite either way. I
_think_ that cards which are actually capable of mixing multiple inputs
present, to ALSA, a 'mixer' channel or something of the sort. I don't
know if that channel is available as an input in PA's UI, on such a
card. I really don't want to commit to anything down that line, as I
don't know enough to be sure.

> > You pick an input source, then pick the volume for it.
>
> sounds very easy, intuitive, comfortable and productive in
> comparison with classical mixer-like[1] interface ...

Yeah, I think that's the idea. =)