Getting a working Rawhide installation

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Aug 8 06:06:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 15:40 +1000, Amit Saha wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks. I will give it a shot.  And see what happens.
> >
> > For the record, instructions at
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide#Yum_update_from_previous_release (though actually that says it's not a good method...I disagree, and the text seems pretty old). I'd say it boils down to:
> >
> > yum install fedora-release-rawhide
> > (disable F17 repos in the graphical tool, enable Rawhide repo)
> > yum distro-sync
> >
> > and watch the pretty, pretty fireworks...
>
> Tried this last night (on an un-updated F17 install)
>
> # yum install fedora-release-rawhide
> # yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide update
>
> It was quite unusable, always ran into rescue mode while boot. Could
> be the SElinux thing you mentioned earlier.

That sounds pretty likely.

> I am trying again now.
> Here is what I plan to do:
>
> # yum install fedora-release-rawhide
> # yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide distro-sync
>
> Is that right?

More or less - I'd say 'yum --releasever=rawhide distro-sync', but
there's really not a huge degree of practical difference between the
three. The difference between 'update' and 'distro-sync' is that
'distro-sync' will *downgrade* a package if the version in the target
repo is lower than what you currently have installed - so if Rawhide is
behind F17, you'll get the Rawhide package, you won't keep the F17 one.
This is _usually_ what you'd want.

If your attempt yesterday failed then the slightly different command
won't likely fix it, but if it was the selinux issue you were hitting,
you might find you get the newer selinux-policy package today and things
work better. If not, grab it from Koji. It's easy enough to tell if
you're hitting the selinux issue: just boot with enforcing=0. If that
works, then you know what the problem was =)

For the record, I just substantially reworked/updated the instructions
on the Rawhide page, as they were somewhat antiquated and confused.