Getting a working Rawhide installation

Amit Saha amitksaha at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 8 05:40:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 15:17 +1000, Amit Saha wrote:

>> > The standard method is to install F17 and yum distro-sync to Rawhide.
>> > You'll want to make sure you get selinux-policy 3.11.1, earlier builds
>> > apparently break boot. I don't know if there are any other showstoppers
>> > at present. Note, we branch for F18 and start building Alpha TCs quite
>> > soon.
>>
>> Thanks. I will give it a shot.  And see what happens.
>
> For the record, instructions at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide#Yum_update_from_previous_release (though actually that says it's not a good method...I disagree, and the text seems pretty old). I'd say it boils down to:
>
> yum install fedora-release-rawhide
> (disable F17 repos in the graphical tool, enable Rawhide repo)
> yum distro-sync
>
> and watch the pretty, pretty fireworks...

Tried this last night (on an un-updated F17 install)

# yum install fedora-release-rawhide
# yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide update

It was quite unusable, always ran into rescue mode while boot. Could
be the SElinux thing you mentioned earlier. I am trying again now.
Here is what I plan to do:

# yum install fedora-release-rawhide
# yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide distro-sync

Is that right?

Thanks,
Amit

http://echorand.me