why not a partition assignment mode?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 6 09:27:56 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-06 10:05 (GMT+0100) Mateusz Marzantowicz composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> For those unfamiliar, Mageia as a fork of Mandriva retained the same
>> installation cmdline option "readonly=1". Using it presents the
>> following partitioning windows during installation, quite logically,
>> prior to software selection:

>> #1 http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/mgaReadonly1s1.png
>> #2 http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/mgaReadonly1s2.png

> Sorry, but I can't see any usability gain here. Choosing only devices
> that you want to partition, reduces number of things/partitions you must
> deal with or you can accidentally corrupt.

I'm not sure I understand your meaning. What readonly=1 in Ma*a offers is
reduction of the amount of partition tables you don't need or want touched
yet can be touched to zero. For those of us who (with a familiar tool or
tools) partition in advance, any ability more than to specify mount points
adds nothing but opportunity for unwanted, and potentially disastrous, results.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/