manual disk configuration problems

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Sat Dec 8 15:17:39 UTC 2012

On 12/08/2012 02:36 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-12-07 at 16:35 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
>> What I'm trying to do: put F18 Beta on two drives
>> I want the first 250 GB drive to have /boot /swap and /
>> I want the second 2 TB drive to have /home
>> I'm making /boot ext2 and all the other partitions ext4 (I haven't kept
>> up with all the new filing systems, so maybe this is too backwards
>> looking - I'm open to suggestions)
>>
>> But, filing systems is not my problem
>> When I tried to do manual partitioning through the installation process,
>> the screen kept freezing on me - it was random, but only happening in
>> the manual partitioning pages; the mouse would still move the arrow, but
>> all selections would become non-responsive
>
> I think we have a bug for that, though I can't quite find the reference
> right now. I believe it has been fixed post-Beta. Could you try again
> with Final TC1 and see how it goes?

Will do - it will have to wait till Monday because the machine is in my
workplace

>>   - I had previously been able
>> to successfully manually partition a single drive with the same DVD
>> install disk, but, I tried making a new one
>> In between, I popped in a gparted disk and started it up and used it to
>> partition my drives the way I wanted
>> Now, back in F18 anaconda manual partitioning pages with a new DVD
>> install disk, I've selected each of the partitions, given them their
>> correct mount points, and selected reformatting - however, pressing
>> apply doesn't appear to do anything,
>
> The button's name can be somewhat misleading. It doesn't actually
> *perform* the operations you are planning: it just 'applies the changes'
> in the sense of updating the left-hand pane with any mount point and
> size changes you've made to the currently-selected partition.
>
> All actual partitioning operations take place during the first part of
> the install process, when you hit the "Begin Installation" button on the
> hub.

I figured, but I can't get to that installation step because it keeps
returning the error I quote below

>>   and if I press continue, I get an
>> error message saying it can't check the storage configuration.
>
> That sounds like you somehow failed the custom partitioning exam. F-,
> see me after class. :) Seriously - can you explain in more detail
> exactly what options you set in the custom part screen? Maybe we can
> figure out what's wrong.

Entirely possible, but I've been doing custom partitioning since FC1 and
I have generally been able to work through interface quirks. One thing I
really don't like about the new manual partitioning interface, unless
I'm missing something, is that you must select the drives you want to
use, and then, it only displays total size of the combined drives. There
doesn't seem to be a way to define partitions on each drive separately
and there is no running total of space left on individual drives as you
create partitions - perhaps I'm missing something - I was having the
earlier issues with screen lockups at the same time, so maybe that being
fixed will lead to other options that work to accomplish what I want. At
the end of the day yesterday, I tried putting a copy of Mint on this
machine just to see how that went. The manual configuration pages for
partitioning drives are really simple and easy to use - you get a GUI
that shows each drive; you click on one and then you get options to
create and label and define mountpoints for each partition - as you
create each partition, you get a running total of remaining space so if
you want to use up the rest of the drive for your last partition, it's
very simple. Then you select the other drive and repeat, and it's done,
all in about one minute. I futzed around with the F18 interface for a
couple of hours yesterday and am still not convinced I was doing it
correctly.

Anyway, I'll try to remember the options I set - I had these two drives
which I partitioned using the Gparted Distro - they were set up just I
described in my opening comments of my initial post. When I then booted
the F18 beta and went into custom partitioning it saw those partitions
and informed me that all my drive space was in use; I then went to the
reclaim space page where I selected each partition, gave it a mountpoint
and label, and ticked the format box; I even did that with the swap
partition - each time, when I clicked on the continue button, I got the
error about checking storage configuration... There aren't really a
whole lot of options - someplace else, there was a dialog about
partitioning type offerning LVM, BRTS, and regular, and that was set to
regular (I might have those term not quite right).

Anyhow, I'll get that Final TC1 and try that first, next. Is that
available now? It will be Monday when I can get back to this. Thanks for
taking time to look at this and respond.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA