will F18 allow simultaneous installation of more than one desktop?

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jul 7 20:12:18 UTC 2012

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

> I agree with David the installer should not support that and also
> frown upon that practice.

> I also think that once the novice end user has choose in his DE in
> the installer he should only be presented with packages/applications
> targeted specifically for that desktop environment if he should be
> presented with options to install additional packages et al...

The package set on the DVD is currently chosen to allow essentially
everything to be installed at once (with transient exceptions such as
samba3/4), hence the repoclosure and file conflicts tests. If the
installer itself is going to make this difficult (kickstart? I've never
had to use that) or impossible, then these tests should be modified
accordingly. Or maybe the DVD could be split into multiple versions, one
for each desktop. Or the DVD could be done away with entirely. If we
intend to go down this path (and I personally hope not) I think these
issues should be resolved *before* the installer is changed to make it
hard to use the DVD the way it's currently designed to be used,
especially if it's not being done to simplify the installer code, or to
prevent users from doing something that's clearly wrong (since lots of
applications are targeted to one desktop but are useful on others), but
purely for coercive purposes (similar to Gnome Shell and no obvious
Power Off option).

> and experience users that want to run multiple
> DE's can already install another one once they have successfully
> finished installing the distribution.

Which is a waste of bandwidth, if the packages were already on the DVD
but the installer made it hard or impossible to use them. It's possible
to get them by setting up the DVD as a repo after installation, if one
is careful not to update first, but why should that be necessary?

P.S. Sorry for not replying in-thread, but Gmane has been dead since
July 2 (later posts don't show up).