will F18 allow simultaneous installation of more than one desktop?

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 19:18:28 UTC 2012

Andre Robatino (robatino at fedoraproject.org) said:
> The package set on the DVD is currently chosen to allow essentially
> everything to be installed at once (with transient exceptions such as
> samba3/4), hence the repoclosure and file conflicts tests. If the
> installer itself is going to make this difficult (kickstart? I've never
> had to use that) or impossible, then these tests should be modified
> accordingly. Or maybe the DVD could be split into multiple versions, one
> for each desktop. Or the DVD could be done away with entirely. If we
> intend to go down this path (and I personally hope not) I think these
> issues should be resolved *before* the installer is changed to make it
> hard to use the DVD the way it's currently designed to be used,
> especially if it's not being done to simplify the installer code, or to
> prevent users from doing something that's clearly wrong (since lots of
> applications are targeted to one desktop but are useful on others), but
> purely for coercive purposes (similar to Gnome Shell and no obvious
> Power Off option).

The DVD isn't designed to be used at all. That's the problem.

It offers you a list of groups, and expects you to put them together into a
coherent OS. This doesn't really work unless you have some idea of how they
function already.

The point of this is exactly that - to prevent the user doing something
silly like trying to install GNOME but forgetting the X server and fonts.

Bill