will F18 allow simultaneous installation of more than one desktop?

David dgboles at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 16:19:22 UTC 2012

On 7/9/2012 11:59 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/09/2012 11:43 PM, David Lehman wrote:
>> On Sun, 2012-07-08 at 07:49 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
>>> Agreed. And I fear the universe, in this case, may be winning by
>>> producing "bigger idiot" developers.
>> Indeed -- "bigger idiot" developers who seek to simplify their
>> software by eliminating limited-value features that bring needless
>>  complexity and therefore bugs. All you have to do is run 'yum
>> groupinstall <whatever>' or use the graphical package manager to
>> install your additional DEs. This should not be prohibitively
>> difficult.
>>

> Point taken.....
>
> However, I think the concern is that users new to Linux and/or Fedora
> may be coming from the Windows world and not aware they have a choice
> in the DeskTop.  So, they install....don't see a choice....get GNOME
> and assume that is it.
>
> Maybe those users will eventually find out that they have a choice.
>
> Or, they may find themselves unhappy with GNOME and leave Fedora
> without ever having known or looked for help.

Anytime I hear this or something similar - "coming from the Windows
world and not aware they have a choice in the DeskTop" - I wonder just
who would wipe out a working OS on a computer and install 'something
named Linux' without doing any reach. None. Really?

Windows users are just that. Windows users. And that does not make them
stupid.

Install Fedora and the default is Gnome. Install Mageia and the default
is KDE. Install Ubuntu and the default in Unity. Google is *every ones*
friend.

If it was *me* going to 'try Linux' I sure as heck would try the Live-CD
(DVD) path first so as not to trash my computer.

--

   David